All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.06
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
About this product
- DescriptionThe book brings together a rich variety of perspectives on abstracts as an academic genre. Drawing on genre analysis and corpus linguistics, the studies collected here combine attention to generic structure with emphasis on language variation and change, thus offering a multi-perspective view on a genre that is becoming one of the most important in present-day research communication. The chapters are organized into three sections, each one offering distinct but sometimes combined perspectives on the exploration of this academic genre. The first section looks at variation across cultures through studies comparing English with Spanish, Italian and German, while also including considerations on variation across genders or the native/n-native divide. The second section centres on variation across disciplines and includes a wide range of studies exploring disciplinary identities and communities,as well as different degrees of centrality in the disciplinary community. The third and final section explores language and genre change by looking at how authorial voice and metadiscourse have changed over the past few decades under the influence of different media and different stakeholders.
- Author BiographyMarina Bondi is Professor of English Language and Translation at the University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, where she is also Director of the CLAVIER (Corpus and Language Variation in English Research) centre. She has published on various aspects of discourse analysis, genre analysis, argumentation, metadiscourse, evaluative language and corpus approaches to specialised discourse. Rosa Lores-Sanz is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of English and German Studies of the University of Zaragoza. She has edited books and published articles in national and international journals on pragmatics and translation, and corpus and contrastive studies (English- Spanish) applied to academic and specialized languages. She is a member of the research group InterLAE.
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication22/04/2014
- Series TitleLinguistic Insights
- Series Part/Volume Number187
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2014
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight540 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byMarina Bondi,Rosa Lores Sanz
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.