All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionStudents in early childhood settings don't always get the benefits of shared book reading - a strategy proven to boost language skills and content kwledge. Prepare the next generation of teachers to make the most of shared reading with this accessible textbook, a complete guide to building vocabulary-rich science and social studies lessons and discussions around storybooks and informational texts. Field-tested with children in high-poverty school settings, this instructional approach is valuable for any young learners at risk for comprehension difficulties. This concise book presents the authors' proven, empirically based Project WORLD (Words of Oral Reading and Language Development) framework for integrating shared book reading into the classroom. Offering both big-picture curriculum design principles and specific instructional strategies, this text gives teachers the kw-how they need to accelerate language skills, vocabulary development, and high-priority science and social studies content kwledge for all young children. Ideal for preservice teacher education courses and in-service professional development! This accessible textbook prepares early childhood educators to teach vocabulary-rich science and social studies lessons through shared book reading. Presents a complete framework for boosting language skills and content kwledge. GET TEACHERS READY TO:* Use the most effective shared book reading and vocabulary practices* Teach new vocabulary while introducing key science and social studies concepts* Align vocabulary instruction with content standards and objectives* Stimulate and expand children's oral language abilities via interactive book discussions* Implement a framework tested in collaboration with Head Start and preschool teachers* Choose their own books and vocabulary words to teach* Design lesson plans that get results* Build a strong foundation for children's future success in science and social studies* Advance learning with proven teaching techniques, such as multiple exposures to words and connected concepts and strategies* Successfully teach both English language learners and native English speakers PRACTICAL MATERIALS: A step-by-step Shared Book Reading Instructional Unit Planner, sample vocabulary words with child-friendly definitions, real-life classroom vignettes with embedded instructional techniques and suggestions, examples of appropriate storybooks and informational texts paired by science or social studies themes, and tools to support teachers' content vocabulary instruction.
- Author BiographyCoordinator of Education Outreach, Department of Pediatrics, Center for Academic and Reading Skills, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, 7000 Fannin, Suite 2443, Houston, TX 77030. Dr. Sharolyn Pollard-Durodola coordinates two projects in the 5-year program study, Oracy/Literacy Development in Spanish-Speaking Students, funded by the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development and the Institute of Education Sciences. For Project III, she conducts interrater reliability checks across sites, coordinates classroom observations of students in kindergarten through second grade, and provides training to classroom observers. For Project V, she assists in the development of a supplemental, intensive proactive Spanish curriculum and intervention program and in the ongoing training and professional development for intervention implementers. Susan B. Neuman, Ed.D., is a professor in educational studies specializing in early literacy development. Previously, she directed the Center for the Improvement of Early Reading Achievement. Her research and teaching interests include early childhood policy, curriculum, and early reading instruction from prekindergarten to Grade 3. In her role as Assistant Secretary, she established the Reading First program and the Early Reading First program and was responsible for the implementation of all activities in Title I of the Elementary and Secondary Act.
- Author(s)Deborah C. Simmons,Jorge E. Gonzalez,Leslie Simmons,Sharolyn D. Pollard-Durodola
- PublisherBrookes Publishing Co
- Date of Publication30/04/2015
- SubjectLanguage Learning (other than ELT)
- Place of PublicationBaltimore
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBrookes Publishing Co
- Weight318 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $199.00Trending at AU $201.75
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $64.70Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.37
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.