Access, Opportunity, and Success: Keeping the Promise of Higher Education by Laura Bauer, Martha E. Casazza (Hardback, 2006)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $60.34Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by books2anywhereuk
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.18+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.82Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionBehind the hallowed walls of higher education are students who did t grow up expecting to attend college, students who walked through open doors t kwing what to expect on the other side. For some, these open doors became revolving doors, and they simply gave up. For many others, however, there were unexpected successes, successes that included more than academic accomplishments. These people came through the system with an increased sense of self-confidence that empowered them in the world beyond college. This oral history tells the story of the struggles as well as of the triumphs related to the fight for access and high quality in higher education. Thus, it provides a unique look at the past state of higher education, and at the measures that might be taken to improve our future educational system. The book begins with a brief historical overview of what access to higher education looked like before the 20th century. Following chapters tell the actual stories and are organized around four themes: the power of belief in students; access with success; institutional commitment; and effective support systems. Finally, a set of recommendations is provided that will help to keep the doors open for those still wishing to enter. Educators at all levels, graduate students studying higher education, and interested readers in the general public will all find this book an invaluable resource.
- Author BiographyMartha E. Casazza is Dean at the College of Arts and Sciences at Louis-National University in Chicago and co-author of Learning Assistance and Developmental Education: A Guide for Effective Practice (1966) and Learning and Development (2000). She served as President of the National College Learning Center Association for Developmental Education, is currently on the Editorial Board for the Journal of Developmental Education. and received the Hunter R. Boylan Outstanding Research Research/Publication Award. Laura Bauer is the Blended Program Director in the Department of Adult and Continuing Literacy Education. She also directs the Undergraduate Developmental Studies Program. Dr. Bauer was selected as one of two featured developmental educators in the PBS/Starlink Broadcast, Developmental Education: Policy and Pedagogy. She is working on a text book, Reading for College, Reading for Life, with Linda Sweeney, for Bedford/St. Martin Press.
- Author(s)Laura Bauer,Martha E. Casazza
- Date of Publication30/01/2006
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight499 g
- Width165 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.