All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAccording to the World Health Organization, one-third of the global population lacks access to essential medicines. Should pharmaceutical companies be ethically or legally responsible for providing affordable medicines for these people, even though they live outside of profitable markets? Can the private sector be held accountable for protecting human beings' right to health? This thought-provoking interdisciplinary collection grapples with corporate responsibility for the provision of medicines in low- and middle-income countries. The book begins with an examination of human rights, rms, and ethics in relation to the private sector, moving to consider the tensions between pharmaceutical companies' social and business duties. Broad examinations of global conditions are complemented by case studies illustrating different approaches for addressing corporate conduct. Access to Medicines as a Human Right identifies invative solutions applicable in both global and domestic forums, making it a valuable resource for the vast field of scholars, legal practitioners, and policymakers who must confront this challenging issue.
- Author BiographyLisa Forman is the Lupina Assistant Professor in the Dalla Lana School of Public Health and the director of the Comparative Program on Health and Society at the University of Toronto. Jillian Clare Kohler is a professor in the Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy and the director of the WHO Collaborating Centre for Governance, Transparency, and Accountability in the Pharmaceutical Sector at the University of Toronto.
- Author(s)Jillian Clare Kohler,Lisa Forman
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication27/08/2012
- SubjectIndustrial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Note3 tables
- Weight480 g
- Width161 mm
- Height237 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.