All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAdding to the acclaimed first four volumes of his exciting, in-the-cockpit series, The American Aces Speak, leading combat historian Eric Hammel comes through with yet ather engrossing collection of first-person accounts by American fighter aces serving in World War II and the Korean War. As are the four earlier volumes, Aces In Combat is a highly charged excursion into life and death in the air, told by men who excelled at piston-engine and jet-engine aerial combat and lived to tell about it. It is an emotional rendering of what brave airmen felt and how they fought in the w-dim days of America's living national history. View the Battle of Midway through Lieutenant Jim Gray's eyes as he must balance the needs of fellow pilots against the needs of his nation. Share the fear with Captain Charlie Sullivan as would-be rescuers deep in the New Guinea jungle attempt to turn him into a blood sacrifice. Crew a Canadian Mosquito night fighter as Lieutenant Lou Luma stalks the wily Hun-and bags an ace-over an airfield deep in Germany.Share Lieutenant Bud Fortier's and Major George Loving's grief when, on missions nearly eight years apart, they look on helplessly as trusted wingmen dive to their deaths in treacherous ground-attack runs. And watch anxiously as Captain Tom Maloney hovers between life and death for ten lonely days after stepping on a mine on an enemy-held beach. These are America's eagles, and the stories they tell are their own, in their very own words. Eric Hammel is an acclaimed military historian and author of more than thirty other combat histories, including Pacifica Military History's Guadalcanal: Starvation Island, Guadalcanal: Decision at Sea, Six Days in June, The Root: The Marines in Beirut, Ambush Valley, Fire in the Streets, Khe Sanh: Siege in the Clouds, and four other volumes in the American Aces Speak series. He lives with his wife in rthern California.
- Author(s)Eric M. Hammel
- PublisherPacifica Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication03/01/2008
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationPacifica
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPacifica Military History
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight444 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.51Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.