All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDefined as the total process of converting a line or process from one product to ather, changeover will t only help your organization improve quality and flexibility, but it will save thousands and sometimes even tens of thousands of dollars per hour. Achieving Lean Changeover: Putting SMED to Work is about the practical implementation of the single minute exchange of die (SMED) philosophy developed by Shigeo Shingo at Toyota. Although the book is principally about changeover of manufacturing, packaging, and assembly processes, the general concepts and examples are also applicable in lighter industries that require turver of processes-including airlines, hospitals, operating rooms, and food service. Filled with practical examples, the book shares proven methods that can help you convert changeover downtime to productive uptime. It explains why reducing changeover time is important financially and provides a structured methodology to help you identify and implement improvement opportunities. The author addresses both the machinery issues with changeover/ SMED and the associated operational issues such as costs, waiting times, material movement, documentation, and product/component design. He also devotes a chapter to discussing, in detail, how to calculate the cost of changeover downtime, an area that remains a mystery to many. Taking a holistic approach to changeover, the text includes a chapter devoted to organizing changeover improvements, keeping them on track, and developing and implementing a formal changeover reduction program. Presenting time-tested methods and practical examples from a variety of industries, it offers you the opportunity to reduce changeover time and cost and provide your organization with the flexibility needed to better satisfy your customers in three important dimensions: product variety, responsiveness, and price.
- Author BiographyJohn Henry is widely known as the Changeover Wizard for his work in making changeover time disappear. His company, Changeover.com, has assisted many companies in a wide variety of packaging, assembly, processing, and other manufacturing industries since its founding in 1996. After a nearly eight-year stint in the US Navy, John went to work for Alcon Laboratories as maintenance supervisor, eventually rising to manager of Facility Operations. He left to purchase Automation Sales, a company dedicated to the design, sale, installation, and service of automated packaging, assembly, and manufacturing machinery. In the early 1990s, John realized that changeover was not a necessary evil and could be improved. He began helping some of his machinery clients and Changeover.com was born. Since then, Changeover.com has provided training and consulting assistance internationally to a variety of companies in a variety of industries. John Henry has master's degrees in industrial management, interpersonal relations, and business education. John has been a classroom and online adjunct instructor at the Southern New Hampshire University Graduate School of Business since 1982. He teaches packaging technology at the Polytechnic University of Puerto Rico. John has published many articles in the industry press and is a frequent speaker at national packaging conferences. He was previously a contributing writer for Food & Beverage Packaging magazine. He is currently a contributing writer for Packaging Digest. John's other books include Machinery Matters (2011) and The Handbook of Packaging Machinery (in press). John may be contacted at email@example.com. He is always interested in discussing changeover.
- Author(s)John R. Henry
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication02/01/2013
- SubjectManagement & Business: General
- Place of PublicationBosa Roca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCRC Press Inc
- Content Note121 black & white illustrations
- Weight453 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.95
- AU $19.54Trending at AU $22.76
- AU $32.25Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $15.04Trending at AU $16.94
- AU $21.43Trending at AU $31.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.