All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNo other major playwright of the last 50 years has undergone such a reappraisal as Rodney Ackland. Interest in his work has renewed in the 1990s, starting at the Orange Tree Theatre, Richmond, with further revivals at many theatres, including the Chichester Festival Theatre and the Royal National Theatre. In Plays Two, we are reminded once again of Ackland's dangerous gift.
- Author BiographyRodney Ackland was born in 1908 in Westcliffe-on-Sea, Essex and studied at London's Central School of Speech Training and Dramatic Art. His first play, 'Improper People', was produced at the Arts Theatre Club, London in 1929. After his 1932 West End debut with 'Strange Orchestra', Ackland went on to have many other successes, but his work then fell into virtual obscurity for three decades until 'The Dark River' (1942) was revived at the Orange Tree, Richmond in 1985. It was acclaimed by Hilary Spurling in The Spectator as perhaps the one indisputably great play of the past half century in English . The subsequent success of 'Absolute Hell' at the Orange Tree, Royal National Theatre and on BBC TV in the 1990s restored Ackland's reputation as a great playwright. He died in 1991.
- Author(s)Rodney Ackland
- PublisherOberon Books Ltd
- Date of Publication01/04/2001
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Series TitleOberon Modern Playwrights
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOberon Books Ltd
- Content Note2 portraits
- Weight522 g
- Width130 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.