All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAcquaintance with the Absolute is the first collected volume of essays devoted to the thought of Yves r. Simon, a thinker widely regarded as one of the great teachers and philosophers of our time. Each piece in this collection of essays thoughtfully complements the others to offer a qualifiedly paramic look at the work and thought of philosopher Yves R. Simon. The six essays presented t only treat some major areas of Simon's thought, pointing out their lucidity and originality, but also his underpinning metaphysics, so central to his thought. Rather than attempt to present all aspects of this patient, careful, and penetrating thinker, these essays select eugh to situate Simon's philosophical excavations - especially his moral, political and action theory - among contemporary Thomistic philosophy. In defending philosophy as a valid way of kwing, Simon gives us an approach we can use to avoid contemporary dilemmas in the philosophy of science. Simon holds that philosophical truths both justify scientific method as a way of kwing the real and provide a basis for distinguishing what is ontologically significant in a scientific theory from what is t. This view allows us to avoid the apparently irrational conclusions of quantum mechanics without reducing scientific theories to being mere projections of our conceptual systems. Though aspects of some of the essays are suited for students of Simon's thought, the essays as a whole introduce the less familiar reader to this great thinking and, further, invite him or her to pursue Simon's own texts. The volume is enhanced by the inclusion of a definitive Yves R. Simon bibliography 1923-1996. The antated bibliography is cross-reference in detail, revealing the astonishing variety of topics Simon treated.
- Author BiographyAnthony O. Simon is Director of the Yves R. Simon Institute.
- PublisherFordham University Press
- Date of Publication31/10/1996
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFordham University Press
- Content Noteindex, bibliography
- Weight530 g
- Width151 mm
- Height227 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byAnthony O. Simon
- Introduction byJames V. Schall
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.