All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines three examples of late nineteenth-century Japanese adaptations of Western literature: a biography of U.S. Grant recasting him as a Japanese warrior, a Victorian vel reset as oral performance, and an American melodrama redone as a serialized vel promoting the reform of Japanese theater. Written from a comparative perspective, it argues that adaptation (hon'an) was a valid form of contemporary Japanese translation that fostered creative appropriation across many genres and among a diverse group of writers and artists. In addition, it invites readers to reconsider adaptation in the context of translation theory.
- Author BiographyJ. SCOTT MILLER received his Ph.D. in East Asian Studies from Princeton University, focusing on Japanese and Comparative Literature, and is currently professor and associate dean of honors at Brigham Young University and editor of the Bulletin of the International Comparative Literature Association. In addition to publishing on the connections between oral and written narrative in Meiji Japan, he has discovered, remastered and produced a compact disc containing the earliest commercial recordings of Japanese speech and music (the famed Kawakami Troupe), recorded originally at the 1900 Paris Exposition.
- Author(s)J. Scott Miller
- PublisherSt Martin's Press
- Date of Publication08/02/2002
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSt Martin's Press
- Content Notebiography
- Weight372 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.50Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.12
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $25.82
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $21.52Trending at AU $23.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.