All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAdele Briscoe Looscan was the first woman president of theTexas State Historical Association, the longest serving presidentof the association (1915-1925), and a remarkable individual.Daughter of Andrew Briscoe, signer of the Texas Declaration ofIndependence, and granddaughter of John Richardson Harris,founder of Harrisburg, Texas, she was shaped and motivated byher heritage throughout her life. Adele Looscan was a woman of her time, yet she flourished in thesociety of both men and women, earning the respect of the formeras an astute businesswoman and the admiration of the latter forher leadership and accomplishments. As a clubwoman, she built an impressive resume: chartermember of the Texas State Historical Association; member of theDaughters of the American Revolution, United Daughters of theConfederacy, Daughters of the Republic of Texas, and the TexasWoman's Press Association; first president of the Houston CityFederation of Women's Clubs, and vice-president of the TexasFederation of Women's Clubs in its first year. She organized theLadies' Reading Club of Houston in 1885 and was instrumental infounding other literary clubs years before the organization of theTexas Federation. Her contributions to Texas history appeared in many newspapersand in the Southwestern Historical Quarterly. She used herinfluence to encourage public education and the preservatiof historic landmarks, and actively advocated for a state library,archives, and museum. Her story is valuable and compelling for what it reveals aboutwomen and culture in nineteenth- and early twentieth-centuryTexas and for what it reveals about the nature, origins, and shapingof Texas's modern identity.
- Author BiographyLaura Lyons McLemore is head archivist at Louisiana State University in Shreveport, USA. She is the author of Inventing Texas: Early Historians of the Lone Star State (2004) and Early Historians and the Shaping of Texas Memory in Lone Star Pasts: Memory and History in Texas (2007).
- Author(s)Laura Lyons McLemore
- PublisherTexas Christian University Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication29/02/2016
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Series TitleThe Texas Biography Series
- Place of PublicationFort Worth
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas Christian University Press,U.S.
- Content Note2 black & white photographs
- Weight590 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.44Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $19.32Trending at AU $21.95
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.71Trending at AU $41.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.