All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.29
- AU $9.81Trending at AU $13.34
About this product
- DescriptionConsidered by many to be the father of the modern U.S. Navy, Arleigh Burke was a sea warrior, strategist, and unparalleled service leader whose impact on the course of naval warfare is still felt today. Noted historian E.B. Potter's biography follows Burke's distinguished naval career from the his early days at the Naval Academy through the dramatic destroyer operations in the Solomons, where he earned his nickname 31-Kt Burke, to his participation, as chief of staff to Vice Admiral Marc Mitscher, in the crucial carrier operations of World War II. The author also fully examines Burke's postwar service as a United Nations delegate to the Korean truce talks and his tenure as chief of naval operations for an unprecedented six years, from 1955 to 1961, where he was a strong advocate of carrier aviation, nuclear propulsion, and a major force in developing the navy's Polaris missile program. In 1977 he was awarded the Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian hor, and became the first living U.S. Naval officer to have a class of ship named after him - the Arleigh Burke guided missile destroyers. Published in 1990 and w available in paperback for the first time, this definitive biography is a worthy tribute to a great man and a great naval hero.
- Author BiographyThe late E. B. Potter, a longtime history professor at the U.S. Naval Academy and former naval officer who served in the Pacific during World War II, is the author of several books, including Bull Halsey, Nimitz, and Sea Power: A Naval History, which he wrote with Admiral Nimitz.
- Author(s)Elmer B. Potter
- PublisherNaval Institute Press
- Date of Publication15/03/2005
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationAnnopolis
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNaval Institute Press
- Content Note27 photos, 15 maps
- Width250 mm
- Height177 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.