All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines the construction of adolescent girlhood across a range of genres in the closing decades of the nineteenth century. It argues that there was a preoccupation with defining, characterising and naming adolescent girlhood at the fin de siecle. These 'daughters of today', 'juvenile spinsters' and 'modern girls', as the press variously termed them, occupying a borderland between childhood and womanhood, were seen to be inextricably connected to late nineteenth-century modernity: they were the products of changes taking place in education and employment and of the challenge to traditional conceptions of femininity presented by the Woman Question. The author argues that the shifting nature of the modern adolescent girl made her a malleable cultural figure, and a meeting point for many of the prevalent debates associated with fin-de-siecle society. By juxtaposing diverse material, from children's books and girls' magazines to New Woman vels and psychological studies, the author contextualises adolescent girlhood as a distinct but complex cultural category at the end of the nineteenth century.
- Author BiographyBeth Rodgers is Lecturer in Nineteenth-Century Literature at Aberystwyth University, UK. She has published articles on Victorian girls' literature and culture and is co-editor of Children's Literature on the Move: Nations, Translations, Migrations (2013), which received the Children's Literature Association's honour award in 2015.
- Author(s)Beth Rodgers
- PublisherSpringer International Publishing AG
- Date of Publication07/10/2016
- SubjectLiterary Theory
- Series TitlePalgrave Studies in Nineteenth-Century Writing and Culture
- Place of PublicationCham
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintSpringer International Publishing AG
- Content Notebiography
- Weight478 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.