All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Even the biographical individual is a social category', wrote Ador. 'It can only be defined in a living context together with others.' In this major new biography, Stefan Muller-Doohm turns this maxim back on Ador himself and provides a rich and comprehensive account of the life and work of one of the most brilliant minds of the twentieth century. This authoritative biography ranges across the whole of Ador's life and career, from his childhood and student years to his years in emigration in the United States and his return to postwar Germany. At the same time, Muller-Doohm examines the full range of Ador's writings on philosophy, sociology, literary theory, music theory and cultural criticism. Drawing on an array of sources from Ador's personal correspondence with Horkheimer, Benjamin, Berg, Marcuse, Kracauer and Mann to interviews, tes and both published and unpublished writings, Muller-Doohm situates Ador's contributions in the context of his times and provides a rich and balanced appraisal of his significance in the 20th Century as a whole. Muller-Doohm's clear prose succeeds in making accessible some of the most complex areas of Ador's thought. This outstanding biography will be the standard work on Ador for years to come.
- Author BiographyStefan Muller-Doohm isProfessor of Sociology at Oldenburg University, Germany.
- Author(s)Stefan Muller-Doohm
- PublisherPolity Press
- Date of Publication19/12/2008
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolity Press
- Content Note48 illustrations
- Weight1074 g
- Width151 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine51 mm
- Translated byRodney Livingstone
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $91.12
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.02
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.