All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionVolume 54 contains seven reviews covering key contemporary topics in the crop and soil sciences. The connections between agricultural practice and environmental impact are addressed in chapters on subsurface microbial ecology, herbicide-resistant field crops, and nitrification inhibitors. Also among this collection are reviews on the microbial reduction of iron, manganese, and other metals; acid tolerance of wheat; lentil breeding and production; and the use of apomixis in cultivar development. With this latest volume, Advances in Agromy continues to be recognized as a prolific and first-rate reference by the scientific community. In 1993 Advances in Agromy increased its publication frequency to three volumes per year, and will continue this trend as our breadth of agromic inquiry and kwledge continues to grow.
- Author BiographyDonald L. Sparks is the S. Hallock du Pont Chair in Soil and Environmental Chemistry, Francis Alison Professor and Director of the Delaware Environmental Institute at the University of Delaware. He is internationally recognized for his landmark research on the kinetics and mechanisms of metal/oxyanion/nutrient reactions at biogeochemical interfaces. His pioneering studies on kinetic processes in soils and minerals include the development of widely used and novel kinetic methods, elucidation of rate-limiting steps and mechanisms over a range of spatial and temporal scales, and coupling of real-time kinetic studies with in-situ molecular scale investigations. His discoveries on the speciation, formation rates and stability mechanisms of metal hydroxide surface precipitates, and their role in the retention and bioavailability of toxic metals in the terrestrial environment, have received worldwide attention. This research has led to more effective soil remediation strategies and predictive models. He is the author or coauthor of 286 publications. These include: 11 edited books, 53 book chapters, and 219 refereed papers. He is the author of two widely adopted textbooks, Kinetics of Soil Chemical Processes and Environmental Soil Chemistry (two editions) published by Academic Press. Dr. Sparks is an ISI Highly Cited Researcher; his research has been cited more than 8380 times and his h-index is 53 (Web of Science). Dr. Sparks has served as editor of Advances in Agronomy since 1991, having edited 77 volumes. He has given over 200 invited presentations at scientific conferences throughout the world, and been a lecturer at 98 universities and institutes in North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. He has received numerous honors and awards including Fellow of five scientific societies, national and international research awards, distinguished fellowships and lectureships, and teaching and mentoring awards. He has advised 90 graduate students and postdoctoral researchers and been the recipient of more than $50 million in research funding. He served as President of both the Soil Science Society of America and the International Union of Soil Sciences.
- PublisherElsevier Science Publishing Co Inc
- Date of Publication25/04/1995
- SubjectAgriculture & Farming
- Series TitleAdvances in Agronomy
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 54
- Place of PublicationSan Diego
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAcademic Press Inc
- Content Noteindex
- Weight660 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Volume editorDonald L. Sparks
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.