All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines new functional approaches to language and education, and the impact of these on literacy in the classroom. The first section looks at issues of multimodality, in which the definition of a text is expanded to include t only that which is written down, but also the interaction of writing, graphics, and audiovisual material. The contributors explore ways in which language education can be expanded to deal with multimodal discourse, whether in children's books, in textbooks, or on the web.The second section looks at how critical discourse analysis and appraisal theory can be used as tools for assessing the effectiveness of student writing and literacy achievement, and also for helping developing writers to write more successfully. The final section argues that corpus-based studies of language have changed the way we see language, and that the way we teach language should evolve in line with these changes. This appealing survey of new directions in language and education includes contributions from internationally rewned scholars. It will be of interest to researchers in systemic functional linguistics, or language and education.
- Author BiographyAnne McCabe is Assistant Professor and Head of ESL in the Department of English and Communication at Saint Louis University, Madrid, Spain. Mick O'Donnell is Research Fellow in the Department of Informatics at the Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Spain. Rachel Whittaker is Lecturer in the Department of English at the Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Spain.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/02/2009
- SubjectLanguage Learning (other than ELT)
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight405 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byAnne McCabe,Mick O'Donnell,Rachel Whittaker
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $204.90New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.66New
- AU $61.69Used
- AU $94.06New
- AU $102.20New
- AU $71.40New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.59
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.94
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $91.19
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.01
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.60
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.66
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.63
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.