All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe three articles of the present volume pertain to very different subjects, all ofconsiderable current interest. The first reviews the fascinating history ofthe search for nucleon substructure in the nucleus using the strength ofGamow- Teller excitations. The second deals with deep inelastic lepton scattering as a probe ofthe n-perturbative structure of the nucleon. The third describes the present state ofaffairs for muon catalyzed fusion, an application of nuclear physics which many new experiments have helped to elucidate. This volume certainly illustrates the broad range ofphysics within our field. The article on Nucleon Charge-Exchange Reactions at Intermediate Energy, by Parker Alford and Brian Spicer, reviews recent data which has clarified one of the greatest puzzles of nuclear physics during the past two decades, namely, the missing strength in Gamow-Teller (GT) transitions. The nucleon-nucleon interaction contains a GT component which has a low-lying giant resonance. The integrated GT strength is subject to a GT sum rule. Early experiments with (n,p) charge exchange reactions found only about half of the strength, required by the sum rule, in the vicinity of the giant resonance. At the time, new theoretical ideas suggested that the GT strength was especially sensitive to rermalization from effects pertaining to nucleon substructure, particularly the delta excitation of the nucleon in the nucleus.
- PublisherSpringer Science+Business Media
- Date of Publication31/03/1998
- Series TitleAdvances in Nuclear Physics (Closed)
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 24
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPlenum Publishing Co.,N.Y.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight1110 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byErich W. Vogt,J. W. Negele
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.