All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe world needs for food and fiber continue to increase. Population growth in the developing countries peaked at 2. 4% a year in 1965 and has fallen to about 2. 1%. However, in many developing countries almost half the people are under 15 years of age, poised to enter their productive and reproductive years. The challenges to produce eugh food for this growing population will remain great Even more challenging is growing the food in the areas of greatest need. Presently the world has great surpluses of food and fiber in some areas while there are devastating deficiencies in other areas. Ecomic conditions and the lack of suitable infrastructure for distribution all too often limit the alleviation of hunger even when there are adequate supplies, sometimes even within the country itself. World hunger can be solved in the long run only by increasing crop production in the areas where the population is growing most rapidly. This will require increased efforts of both the developed and developing countries. Much of the techlogy that is so successful for crop production in the developed countries cant be utilized directly in the developing countries. Many of the principles, however, can and must be adapted to the conditions, both physical and ecomic, of the developing countries.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication08/11/2011
- SubjectEarth Sciences
- Series TitleAdvances in Soil Science
- Series Part/Volume Number5
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight393 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1986
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.