All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince colonization, dominant ideologies of race have been visualized and communicated through advertising. At its core, this book delineates the continuities and changes in what is termed the colonial racial script within global advertising representations. The origins of that script are traced back to the eighteenth century - through the Transatlantic Slave Trade, the age of High Imperialism, the post-World War II era to the current stage of globalization - and are identified and analyzed. From ads selling slaves to the ones promoting the ideal of equality, from the campaigns generating new racial currencies to the ones turning down the existing racist overtones, Linda C. L. Fu examines over 100 advertisements and draws on a 300-year span of references to reveal the plurality, chaos, variation, and resilience of the colonial concepts of race in society through advertising discourses in the West. Advertising and Race is the first book devoted exclusively to the study of strategic deployments of racial tropes in advertising amid waves of historical challenges. With a well-mixed theoretical, historical, social, and professional narrative, it presents a new approach, critical insight, and a comprehensive reference for the study of advertising and communication, as well as the study of race, society, culture, and globalization.
- Author BiographyLinda C. L. Fu (PhD, RMIT) has taught design theory, practice, and management at the University of Canberra. An award-winning creative, she has delivered speeches and lectures in academic and professional arenas around the world, judged international design competitions, and consulted local and international organizations and governments on advertising and branding strategies. Dr. Fu is the founder and principal of Global iCom Consulting.
- Author(s)Linda C. L. Fu
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication29/09/2014
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2014
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight570 g
- Width180 mm
- Height255 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.