All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionThe story of the duel of David and Goliath, the Philistine champion, is narrated in the Bible in several versions. While its symbolic importance in Judaism and later in Christianity gradually came to represent the battle between good and evil, true faith and paganism, attempts were made since ancient times to solve its ambiguities. In modern research, the story arouses many disputes. There is controversy about the degree of realism and fantasy in it and there is also agreement as to the time it was composed. Some claim that this was close to the time when the event occurred at the beginning of the monarchy period. Others postpone the time of its writing to the end of the Judaean monarchy and even to Second Temple times by pointing out its similarities to Greek literature and the characteristics of Goliath as an Aegean hoplite. The purpose of the study is t only to shed light on the enigmas about the protagonists and the time of the story, but also to understand why the importance of its message did t lessen and in what circumstances the interest in it was prolonged. The study employs a textual analysis (literary and philological) of the story together with its comparison to Greek, Egyptian and Mesopotamian literary sources, historical analysis, and also a comparative analysis with archaeological findings. It examines sources which until w have t been included in research and suggests a new date, place and motive for the compilation of the duel story.
- Author(s)Simona Rodan
- Date of Publication30/04/2015
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2015
- ImprintArchaeopress Archaeology
- Content NoteIllustrated throughout in black & white
- Width175 mm
- Height245 mm
- Format DetailsB5: Tankobon
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.