Aesthetics of Music: Aesthetics of Music in Sixteenth-Century Germany, the Low Countries and England by Dr David Whitwell (Paperback / softback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $66.81Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $99.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor the first time, Dr. David Whitwell presents a thorough study of the performance of music in society together with the philosophical views on art versus entertainment, the role of performance in education and character formation and how earlier philosophers viewed the interplay among Reason, Emotions, experience and the senses. The present volume gives the reader a comprehensive view of the aesthetics of music in sixteenth-century Germany, England and the Low Countries. Included here are the first significant contemporary German performance descriptions by Michael Praetorius, Cochlaeus, Ornithoparchus, Listenius, Glarean and Coclico. And of course the reader will find the aftermath of Martin Luther, particularly through the accounts of Erasmus. With regard to England, one finds here extensive accounts of the first great period of English music, including descriptions from poets, fiction and of course the Elizabethan Theater which is kwn for its attempt to accurately reflect sixteenth-century life. With regard to the future, perhaps there was greater harbinger than the historic shift through which music was longer a pursuit of the ble but became the function of servants.
- Author BiographyDavid Whitwell studied conducting at the Akademie fur Musik, Vienna, with Hans Swarowsky, and with Eugene Ormandy. He has conducted resident ensembles in Austria, Switzerland, Israel, Japan, Wales, England, Germany, The Netherlands, Bolivia, Peru, Korea, Taiwan, Russia and the United States, among them the Philadelphia Orchestra, Seattle Symphony Orchestra, the Czech Radio Orchestras of Brno and Bratislava, and The National Youth Orchestra of Israel. David Whitwell was named as one of six men who have determined the course of American bands during the second half of the twentieth century, in the definitive history, The Twentieth Century American Wind Band (Meredith Music), and he is one of nine men described by Paula A. Crider in The Conductor's Legacy (Chicago: GIA, 2010) as 'the legendary conductors' of the twentieth century.
- Author(s)Dr David Whitwell
- PublisherWhitwell Books
- Date of Publication21/04/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWhitwell Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight708 g
- Width190 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byCraig Dabelstein
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.43Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $119.81
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.