Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- DescriptionThis first-hand account of Taliban rule in Afghanistan from 1996 to 2001 analyses the current situation in the country. The work is based on the author's experiences during his assignment as Pakistan's special envoy to Afghanistan with the mandate of bringing the Taliban and the Northern Alliance to the negotiating table. This entailed shuttle missions, at times life-threatening, between the warring factions. Featured are reports of the author's meetings with key Afghan leaders including Mulla Omar, Ahmed Shah Masood, Rashid Dostum and Burhanuddin Rabbani, but also portrayals of the cynical role played by Afghanistan's immediate neighbours as well as Russia, the US and the UN. Mushed explores the subject of terrorism and extremism in the name of religion while also providing a rare insight into the mindset of the regional leaders whose ambitions and personal animosities impeded any settlement for Afghanistan. Considering Afghanistan's short but violent history, the book concludes that only strong leadership can bring durable peace and stability to the country. This could have been provided by the Taliban under Mulla Omar, but the international community chose to isolate the Taliban. The need for a broad-based government was emphasized by all, yet the Bonn accords yielded a mirity-based dispensation. However, the Bonn process still offers the only viable possibility for restoring sustainable peace in Afghanistan. The book contains many personal, at times even amusing, ancedotes. Never before has any writer interacted so closely with the leadership on both sides of the Afghan political divide during such a critical period.
- Author(s)S. Iftikhar Murshed
- PublisherBennett & Bloom
- Date of Publication11/05/2006
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBennett & Bloom
- Content Note20 illustrations
- Width138 mm
- Height208 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.