All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLandscape studies provide a crucial perspective into the interaction between humans and their environment, shedding insight on social, cultural, and ecomic topics. The research explores both the way that natural processes have affected the development of culture and society, as well as the ways that natural landscapes themselves are the product of historical and cultural processes. Most previous studies of the landscape selectively focused on either the natural sciences or the social sciences, but the research presented in African Landscapes bridges that gap. This work is unique in its interdisciplinary scope. Over the past twelve years, the contributors to this volume have participated in the collaborative research center ACACIA (Arid Climate Adaptation and Cultural Invation in Africa), which deals with the relationship between cultural processes and ecological dynamics in Africa's arid areas. The case studies presented here come from mainly Sahara/Sahel and southwestern Africa, and are all linked to broader discussions on the concept of landscape, and themes of cultural, anthropological, geographical, botanical, sociological, and archaeological interest. The contributions in this work are enhanced by full color photographs that put the discussion in context visually.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication01/09/2008
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleStudies in Human Ecology and Adaptation
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 4
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note108 black & white illustrations, 41 colour illustrations, 21 black & white tables, biography
- Weight1004 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Edited byMichael Bollig,Olaf Bubenzer
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.43Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.24Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.