All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn many parts of the world the white man is perceived to be an instigator of globalization and an embodiment of modernity. However, so far anthropologists have paid little attention to the actual heterogeneity and complexity of whiteness in specific ethgraphic contexts. This study examines cultural perceptions of other and self as expressed in cargo cults and masked dances in Papua New Guinea. Indigeus terms, images, and concepts are being contrasted with their western counterparts, the latter partly deriving from the publications and field tes of Charles Valentine. After having done his first fieldwork more than fifty years ago, this anthropological ancestor has w become part of the local tradition and has thus turned into a kind of mythical figure. Based on anthropological fieldwork as well as on archival studies, this book addresses the relation between western and indigeus perceptions of self and other, between tradition and modernity, and between anthropological ancestors and descendants. In this way the work contributes to the study of whiteness, cargo cults and masked dances in Papua New Guinea.
- Author BiographyHolger Jebens is a Research Fellow at the Frobenius Institute and has been Managing Editor of Paideuma since 1998. He was Theodor-Heuss Lecturer at the New School of Social Research and spent many years doing fieldwork in highland and seaboard Papua New Guinea. His publications include Cargo, Cult, and Culture Critique (Hawai'i University Press, 2004), and Pathways to Heaven (Berghahn Books, 2005).
- Author(s)Holger Jebens
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication06/12/2012
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight348 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $24.94Trending at AU $33.36
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.