Against Marriage: The Correspondence of la Grande Mademoiselle by Anne-Marie-Louise D'Orleans (Paperback, 2003)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $31.53Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 17th-century France, aristocratic women were valued by their families as commodities to be married off in exchange for money, social advantage or military alliance. Once married, they became legally subservient to their husbands. The duchesse de Montpensier - a first cousin of Louis XIV - was one of very few exceptions, thanks to the vast wealth she inherited from her mother, who died shortly after Montpensier was born. In the daring letters presented in this bilingual edition, Montpensier condemns the alliance system of marriage, proposing instead to found a republic that she would govern, a corner of the world in which ...women are their own mistresses , and where marriage and even courtship would be outlawed. Her pastoral utopia would provide medical care and vocational training for the poor, and all the homes would have libraries and studies, so that each woman would have a rooom of her own in which to write books. Joan DeJean's lively introduction and accessible translation of Montpensier's letters - four previously unpublished - allow us unprecedented access to the courageous voice of this extraordinary woman.
- Author BiographyJoan DeJean is Trustee Professor of French at the University of Pennsylvania. She is the author of a number of books, most recently Ancients against Moderns: Culture Wars and the Making of a Fin de Siecle and The Reinvention of Obscenity: Sex, Lies, and Tabloids in Early Modern France, both published by the University of Chicago Press.
- Author(s)Anne-Marie-Louise D'Orleans
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication14/01/2003
- Series TitleOther Voice in Early Modern Europe
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Noteports.
- Weight192 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Translated byJoan DeJean
- Volume editorDuchesse de Montpensier
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $19.43New
- AU $7.82Used
- AU $21.30New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $14.09New
- AU $6.50Used
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $23.80New
- AU $11.17Used
- AU $20.04New
- AU $32.17New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.86Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $40.04Trending at AU $43.83
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.54
- AU $19.74Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $58.25Trending at AU $62.59
- AU $101.00Trending at AU $118.99
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.