All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDo citizens of a nation such as the United States have a moral duty to obey the law? Do officials, when interpreting the Constitution, have an obligation to follow what that text meant when ratified? To follow precedent? To follow what the Supreme Court today says the Constitution means? These are questions of political obligation (for citizens) and interpretive obligation (for anyone interpreting the Constitution, often officials). Abner Greene argues that such obligations do t exist. Although citizens should obey some laws entirely, and other laws in some instances, one has put forth a successful argument that citizens should obey all laws all the time. Greene's case is t only against obligation. It is also for an approach he calls permeable sovereignty : all of our rms are on equal footing with the state's laws. Accordingly, the state should accommodate religious, philosophical, family, or tribal rms whenever possible. Greene shows that questions of interpretive obligation share many qualities with those of political obligation. In rejecting the view that constitutional interpreters must follow either prior or higher sources of constitutional meaning, Greene confronts and turns aside arguments similar to those offered for a moral duty of citizens to obey the law.
- Author BiographyAbner S. Greene is Leonard F. Manning Professor of Law at Fordham University.
- Author(s)Abner Greene
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication27/03/2012
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Weight666 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.48New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.