Against the Tide: One Woman's Political Struggle by Harriet Keyserling (Paperback, 2004)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $45.39Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.93+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1944, when New York City native Harriet Keyserling arrived in the small South Carolina town of Beaufort, she found herself in an environment that seemed foreign to her. Coming to Beaufort with her husband - a native son and local physician - she was a liberal rtherner in the conservative South and a Jew in a predominantly Christian world. These religious and political differences only intensified her feelings of being an outsider - a thread that would run through much of her life and career. After successfully raising four children and professionally volunteering for most of her adult life, Keyserling became involved in state and local politics. Driven by passion for the causes she supports, she organized a chapter of the League of Women Voters, became the first woman to serve on the Beaufort County Council, and, at the age of fifty-four, was elected to the state General Assembly. She served for sixteen years before retiring in 1992, when the growing rancor and partisanship of the legislature became intolerable for her. Against the Tide tells the intensely personal story of an unconventional politician struggling to gain self-confidence, beat the odds, and make a lasting difference. Tracing Keyserling's journey into the world of good ol' boy Southern politics and her labors to reform the political system in South Carolina, it is the story of a woman who arrived a Yankee liberal and became an effective eight-term legislator in the South Carolina House of Representatives. In the new preface to this paperback edition, Keyserling brings her story up to the present and discusses its relevance to a radically different political scene.
- Author BiographyHarriet Keyserling graduated from Bamard College with honors in economics and mathematics. She lives in Beaufort, South Carolina.
- Author(s)Harriet Keyserling
- PublisherUniversity of South Carolina Press
- Date of Publication30/04/2004
- SubjectAutobiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationSouth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of South Carolina Press
- Content Note36 halftones
- Weight658 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Foreword byRichard W. Riley
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $89.67New
- AU $41.13Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.36New
- AU $112.89New
- AU $97.70Used
- AU $33.23New
- AU $30.36New
- AU $20.41New
- AU $30.78New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.36
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.00Trending at AU $63.02
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.68
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.78
- AU $28.32Trending at AU $30.23
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.