All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the past fifty years, two factors have led to global population aging: a decline in fertility to levels close to --or even below --replacement and a decline in mortality that has increased world average life expectancy by nearly 67 percent. As the population skews toward fewer young people and more elderly who live longer postretirement lives, demographic changes --labor force participation, savings, ecomic growth, living arrangements, marriage markets, and social policy --are transforming society in fundamental, irreversible ways. Nowhere are these effects of aging and demographic change more acute --r their long-term effects more potentially significant --than in the Asia-Pacific region. How will these developments impact the ecomies and social protection systems of Japan, South Korea, China, and, by extension, the United States? To assess this question, Aging Asia showcases cutting-edge, policy-relevant research. The first section focuses on demographic trends and their ecomic implications; the second section approaches select topics from a global comparative perspective, including social insurance financing, medical costs, and long-term care.
- Author BiographyKaren Eggleston is the director of the Asia Health Policy Program (AHPP) at Shorenstein APARC, Stanford University, USA. Shripad Tuljapurkar is professor of biology and the Dean & Virginia Morrison Professor of Population Studies at Stanford University, USA. He also directs demographic programs at Stanford's Center for the Demography, Economics and Health of Aging, and the Stanford Center for Population Research in the Institute for Research in the Social Sciences, USA.
- PublisherAsia/Pacific Research Center, Div of The Institute for International Studies
- Date of Publication01/10/2010
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationStanford
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAsia/Pacific Research Center, Div of The Institute for International Studies
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight299 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byKaren Eggleston,Shripad Tuljapurkar
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.