All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis study is an attempt to contribute to our understanding of one of the most important reforms currently advocated by development ecomists to reduce rural poverty in developing countries: land reform. Dr. Cohen has based his study on models in which three social groups are acting: these, for brevity's sake, are called land- lords, peasants and the groups who comprise the n-agricultural sector. Peasants include the so-called landless peasants which western countries generally term agrarian workers. The method can be extended to larger numbers of groups. The actors are involved in various activities, including production, consumption and saving, the latter being available either for physical or for financial invest- ment. This implies that various wealth components appear in the model alongside flows of goods and services. Use is made of determinate models with linear and n-linear equations of a dynamic character. The models are employed to estimate socio-ecomic development under alternative regimes. Regimes differ, on the one hand, according to which group is in power and, on the other hand, according to the instruments of ecomic policy they use. It is an attractive feature of Dr. Cohen's study that the models are applied to two countries for which all the necessary statistical material has been estimated: India and Chile. For both countries a brief socio-political sketch precedes the numerical application of the models. For India five instruments of socio-ecomic policy are considered: land transfers, measures to stimulate productivity, credit policies, taxes and tenure and wage regulations.
- Author(s)S. I. Cohen
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication13/10/2011
- SubjectAgriculture & Farming
- Series TitleStudies in Development & Planning
- Series Part/Volume Number8
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight248 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1978
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.