All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIndia's rtheastern region, forged by a unique geological history and peopled by several waves of migration, is extraordinarily complex. Farming systems in the hills and the riverine plains are embedded in a heterogeneous environment, comprising forests, wetlands and fields, shaped over centuries by nature and people. Today, the environment and ecomy are undergoing rapid transformation, affecting peoples' lives, livelihoods and methods of food production. The essays in this volume bring a multi-disciplinary perspective to critical aspects of the process of agricultural change, examine the gender dimensions of agriculture, and explore initiatives for sustainable livelihood and ecological conservation. Part I analyses the impact of policies and people's own aspirations on the closely-intertwined ecology and ecomy of the region. Part II discusses the gender dynamics of farming, forestry and biodiversity in a socio-cultural context where women are primarily responsible for food production. Part III highlights some alternative farming interventions and community-based efforts for environmental conservation, sustainable resource management and improved livelihoods. This book will be useful to scholars and students of agriculture, ecomics, development, environment and gender studies, and to those involved in policy analysis, natural resource management and community organisation, as also general readers interested in India's rtheastern region.
- Author BiographySumi Krishna is an independent environment-development scholar and writer based in Bangalore, India and was the President of the Indian Association for Women's Studies (2005-8).
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication31/05/2012
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleTransition in Northeastern India
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRoutledge India
- Content Noteillustrations (black and white), maps (black and white)
- Weight612 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Edited bySumi Krishna
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.82Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.