All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSports-related concussions, also kwn as mild traumatic brain injuries, have become a national epidemic. As many as 63 percent of high school students have already had at least one concussion, while ather 500,000 children between the ages of ten and fourteen visit ERs for concussion annually. New research has shown that there is such thing as a simple bell-ringer, and that sending a child back on the field too soon puts his or her physical and emotional health at risk. Yet it is all too easy to miss the warning signs of concussion, or to encourage kids to walk off a potentially devastating injury. Ahead of the Game is the first book to give parents of school-aged athletes the tools they need to keep kids safe on the field, court, diamond, or rink. A pioneer in youth concussion research since the 1990s, this leading brain-behavior expert, neuropsychologist, and sports mom, Dr. Rosemarie Scolaro Moser, has worked with thousands of youth athletes, as well as professional sports teams. Dr. Moser explains: *Helmets and mouth guards, even when properly fitted, cant prevent concussion *Concussions may negatively affect a child's GPA, school performance, and emotional behavior *Girls are more vulnerable to concussion than boys *State concussion laws may t be eugh to keep kids safe Ahead of the Game clearly lays out the basics of identification, management, and treatment of concussion in kids, and details the vital steps we can take to protect their most vital organ-the brain-before an injury occurs.
- Author BiographyROSEMARIE SCOLARO MOSER, PhD. is a neuropsychologist, hockey mom, and director of the Sports Concussion Center of New Jersey. She is the official neuropsychologist for Philadelphia Soul Arena Football, Trenton Steel Arena Football, and Trenton Titans Professional Hockey.
- Author(s)Rosemarie Scolaro Moser,University Press of New England
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication12/06/2012
- SubjectFamily & Health: General
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of New England
- Weight354 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.