Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionIn this pioneering biography, Christopher Melchert examines the forefather of the fourth of the four principal Sunni schools of jurisprudence, the Hanbali. Upholding the view that the Qur'an was uncreated and the direct word of God, Ahmad ibn Hanbal (780-855) thought that the holy text should be read literally, rejecting any possibility for metaphorical or revisionist interpretation. Showing that even in his own lifetime, ibn Hanbal's followers were revising his doctrines in favour of a more commodious Islam, Melchert assesses the importance of ibn Hanbal's teachings and analyses their relevance in modern Sunni Islam.
- Author BiographyDr Christopher Melchert is a lecturer in Arabic and Islam at the Oriental Institute, Oxford University. He has written numerous published articles on Islam and specifically Ahmad ibn Hanbal.
- Author(s)Christopher Melchert
- PublisherOneworld Publications
- Date of Publication27/10/2006
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Series TitleMakers of the Muslim World
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOneworld Publications
- Weight345 g
- Width135 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine17 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.