All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCurrent foreign aid programs are failing because they are based upon flawed assumptions about how countries develop. They attempt to achieve development without first achieving good governance and security, which are essential prerequisites for sustainable development. In focusing on the poorer members of society, they neglect the elites upon whose leadership the quality of governance and security depends. By downplaying the relevance of cultural factors to development, they avoid altering cultural characteristics that account for most of the weaknesses of elites in poor nations. Drawing on a wealth of examples from around the world, the author shows that foreign aid can be made much more effective by focusing it on human capital development. Training, education, and other forms of assistance can confer both skills and cultural attributes on current and future leaders, especially those responsible for security and governance.
- Author BiographyMark Moyar is the author of numerous books and articles on national security and capacity building, including Triumph Forsaken: The Vietnam War, 1954-1965 and A Question of Command: Counterinsurgency from the Civil War to Iraq. He has been a professor at the US Marine Corps University, where he held the Kim T. Adamson Chair of Insurgency and Terrorism, and, most recently, at the Joint Special Operations University. A frequent visitor to foreign conflict zones, he has served as a consultant to the senior leadership of several US military commands.
- Author(s)Mark Moyar
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication22/01/2016
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Weight500 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.