All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAileen and Roy is the story of the author's parents: Roy Cochran, who rose from a sod house on a hardscrabble farm in western Nebraska to the state house in Lincoln as goverr, and Aileen Gantt Cochran, a pioneer teacher and superintendent of schools in the Nebraska Sandhills. Roy Cochran's three terms as goverr (1935-41) covered the most critical years in the history of the West, when the population was ravaged by drought and the Great Depression, and new state-federal programs-social security, the WPA-were coming into being. Aileen Gantt grew up in the small town of North Platte at the end of the nineteenth century and supported her widowed mother and siblings as a teacher and county school superintendent. Their story, drawn from unpublished memoirs and family letters, provides a unique and intimate picture of life in a small western town around the turn of the century. It is also the story of two remarkable people who faced the challenge of governing in a time of despair and change.
- Author BiographyMary Cochran Grimes was born in North Platte, Nebraska, and is a graduate of the University of Nebraska. She received her MA in history from Yale University and has written several articles for Nebraska History Quarterly. She lives in Hamden, Connecticut.
- Author(s)Mary Cochran Grimes
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/12/2010
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationNebraska
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBison Books
- Content Note23 illustrations, 1 map
- Weight307 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.87
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.84
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.93
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.31
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $50.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.