All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOn April 8, 1945, several American bomber squadrons were informed that their German targets were temporarily unavailable due to cloud cover. As it was too late to turn back, the assembled ordnance of more than two hundred bombers was diverted to nearby Halberstadt. A midsized cathedral town of particular industrial or strategic importance, Halberstadt was almost totally destroyed, and a then-thirteen-year-old Alexander Kluge watched his town burn to the ground. Translated by Martin Chalmers, Kluge's Air Raid is a touchstone event in German literature of the postwar era. Incorporating photographs, diagrams, and drawings, Kluge captures the overwhelming rapidity and totality of the organized destruction of his town from numerous perspectives, bringing to life both the strategy from above and the futility of the response on the ground. Originally published in German in 1977, this exquisite report, fragmentary and unfinished, is one of Kluge's most personal works and one of the best examples of his literary technique. Now available for the first time in English, Air Raid appears with additional new stories by the author and features an appreciation of the work by W. G. Sebald.
- Author BiographyAlexander Kluge is one of the major German fiction writers of the late twentieth century and an important social critic. As a filmmaker, he is credited with the launch of the New German Cinema movement. Martin Chalmers is a Berlin-based translator from Glasgow. He has translated some of the best-known German-language writers, including Herta Muller, Elfriede Jelinek, and Hans Magnus Enzensberger.
- Author(s)Alexander Kluge
- PublisherSeagull Books London Ltd
- Date of Publication02/07/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleThe German List
- Place of PublicationGreenford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSeagull Books London Ltd
- Content Note44 line drawings
- Weight277 g
- Width140 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Translated byMartin Chalmers
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $94.28
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $77.19
- AU $21.90Trending at AU $24.84
- AU $14.54Trending at AU $15.56
- AU $10.42Trending at AU $18.63
- AU $14.25Trending at AU $17.10
- AU $21.10Trending at AU $24.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.