All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis, the fourth and final volume of the series on Market-Garden in September 1944 reveals the final fate of the troops at Oosterbeek and the decision to evacuate all able bodied men in Operation 'Berlin' as well as the subsequent Operation 'Pegasus' when the Allies tried to return as many beleaguered troops back to Allied lines as possible. Was Arnhem indeed 'a bridge Too Far'? While 'Market-Garden' certainly was a heroic failure conducted at great cost it is debatable whether it contributed materially to the ultimate victory or was a foolish sacrifice of thousands of troops, aircrew and Dutch civilians in an ill-conceived assault on the German-held bridges across the Lower Rhine. There is doubting the gritty, gallant and valorous contribution on the part of the British, Dominion, American and Polish paratroopers, the RAF and USAAF aircrews and their German opponents and Dutch civilians. Their incredible, illuminating and often under-stated accounts of extraordinary courage, camaraderie, shared terror and encounters with the enemy offer a more personalised view of 'Market-Garden' through the words of those who were there at the heart of the action. These tales are complemented by the author's background information supplemented by the inclusion of daily timelines that give an overall picture of each battle and air operation.
- Author BiographyMartin Bowman is one of Britain's leading aviation authors and has written a multitude of books on World War Two and other conflicts since. Among the many titles that he has written, Pen and Sword have published The Men Who Flew The Mosquito, Duxford and the Big Wings; several guides to World War two airfields in the 'Aviation Heritage Series', The Mighty Eighth At War; Legend of the Lancasters; Mosquito Mayhem, Bomber Command: Reflections of War and Air War D-Day; The First Steps To Victory. He lives in Norwich in Norfolk and is a former member of the 6th Battalion, The Royal Anglian Regiment (TAVR).
- Author(s)Martin Bowman
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication19/09/2013
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationSouth Yorkshire
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPen & Sword Aviation
- Content Note60 images
- Weight499 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Other
- AU $24.31New
- AU $49.49New
Save on Other
- AU $19.02Trending at AU $21.52
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $51.26
- AU $18.18Trending at AU $21.94
- AU $26.09Trending at AU $28.18
- AU $35.56Trending at AU $40.85
- AU $30.44Trending at AU $33.80
- AU $17.41Trending at AU $22.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.