Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $21.62Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $25.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGlamour. Cosmo. SELF. Ladies' Home Journal. Vogue. In an industry that has been in a downward spiral for years, these magazines--and other women--focused magazines like them--have t only retained their readership, they've increased it. Every month, five million-plus women peel back the slick cover of their favorite magazine to thumb through pages filled with tidings and advice about fashion, beauty, sex, relationships, dieting, health, and lifestyle. But do women's magazines offer valuable information, or do they merely peddle fluff and fantasy--and in either case, do women take their messages to heart? In Airbrushed Nation, Jennifer Nelson--a longtime industry insider--exposes the naked truth behind the glossy pages of women's magazines, both good and bad. Nelson delves deep into the world of glossies, explaining the ways in which these magazines have been positive for women, highlighting the ways in which their agendas have been misguided, and asking the questions that have long gone unasked: What do women think and believe about the retouched photos, the ubiquitous sex advice, the constant offensive on aging, and the fantasy fashion spreads featuring unaffordable clothing and accessories? Do the unrealistic ads, images, and ideals that permeate glossies damage women's self-esteem ...and is it intentional?
- Author BiographyJennifer Nelson has been writing for women's magazines for nearly fifteen years. She's written hundreds of articles on health, wellness, relationships, pop culture, pets, and travel for practically every chick slick on the stands, including Woman's Day, Ladies' Home Journal, Family Circle, Cosmo, O, The Oprah Magazine, Glamour, Women's Health, Fitness, and Self. When she's not writing for women, she contributes to The Washington Post, The Chicago Tribune, Reader's Digest, Parade, USA Weekend, Prevention, Parents, Parenting, AARP, WebMD, and MSNBC. Nelson teaches Stiletto Boot Camp, a course on women's magazine writing, at Mediabistro.com. She also speaks about and offers workshops on women's magazine writing at writing conferences around the country. She is a bona fide women's glossy magazine junkie.
- Author(s)Jennifer Nelson
- PublisherSeal Press
- Date of Publication11/10/2012
- SubjectFashion & Beauty
- Place of PublicationSeattle, WA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSeal Press
- Weight285 g
- Width140 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.