All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAccording to the author, in Australia, men drink alcohol as a mark of masculinity, and women take care of drinking men as a part of rmative femininity. And while research on alcoholics and alcoholism is common, very few studies consider the lives of the women who are married to alcoholics. Here, Zajdow details and explores the lives of such women who belong to Al-An, where they may share their experiences and offer their stories in a nthreatening and supportive environment. The author presents the narratives of these women in the context of her analysis of the self-help group to demonstrate how people construct and reconstruct their lives as coherent stories about themselves, and to show how these self-stories can be changed and reconceptualized within the context of the group. Unique in its examination of self-stories offered within a self-help group, this book challenges sociological kwledge about the way these mutual-aid groups operate as communities of interest and help. Zajdow begins by laying the groundwork through a discussion of the professional and lay discourses on women's relationships to alcoholic men. She then provides the basis for using self-stories to examine a group of people, the individuals in the group, and the behavior of the group in general. A history of Al-An as a self-help group is also detailed, and the author compares the Australian meetings to meetings in other parts of the world. The stories themselves are then examined and discussed in terms of how they relate to group processes and individual change through Al-An. Tracing the way that these women move from a place of despair to one of hope and meaningful change, this also represents a sociological exploration of gender, families, and communities.
- Author BiographyGRAZYNA ZAJDOW is Senior Lecturer of Sociology in the School of Social Inquiry at Deakin University, Australia. She has published several book chapters and journal articles on issues such as women and work, alcoholism, and the family and household.
- Author(s)Grazyna Zajdow
- Date of Publication30/08/2002
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Series TitleContributions in Sociology
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 137
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight475 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.