All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.51
About this product
- DescriptionIn this collection, black religious scholars and pastors whose expertise range from theology, ethics, and the psychology of religion, to preaching, religious aesthetics, and religious education, discuss the legacy of Albert B. Cleage Jr. and the idea of the Black Madonna and child. Easter Sunday, 2017 will mark the fifty year anniversary of Albert B. Cleage Jr.'s unveiling of a mural of the Black Madonna and child in his church in Detroit, Michigan. This unveiling symbolized a radical theological departure and disruption. The mural helped symbolically launch Black Christian Nationalism and influenced the Black Power movement in the United States. But fifty years later, what has been the lasting impact of this act of theological invation? What is the legacy of Cleage's emphasis on the literal blackness of Jesus? How has the idea of a Black Madonna and child informed tions of black womanhood, motherhood? LGBTQ communities? How has Cleage's theology influenced Christian education, Africana pastoral theology, and the Black Arts Movement? The contributors to this work discuss answers to these and many more questions.
- Author BiographyJawanza Eric Clark is Associate Professor of Global Christianity at Manhattan College, USA. His first book, Indigenous Black Theology, is a work of comparative and constructive theology that incorporates the indigenous African notion of ancestor in the development of a new Black theology for the church.
- Author(s)Jawanza Eric Clark
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication22/09/2016
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Series TitleBlack Religion/Womanist Thought/Social Justice
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note3 colour illustrations, 3 colour tables, biography
- Weight549 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.