All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book contains selected proceedings from the NATO Advanced Study Institute (AS I) The Molecular Pathology of Alcoholism held at the Hotel Il Ciocco in Tuscany during 26th August - 6th September 1990. Alcoholism remains one of the most challenging problems in medical care, with far-reaching medical, social and ecomic consequences. For example in the U. S. , estimates indicate that 18 million people have a serious drinking problem and that the total cost to the ecomy of alcohol abuse is $117 billion. Treatment of alcohol dependence and other alcohol-related disorders accounts for almost 15% of the total health bill of the United States. Despite the scale of the medical problem, biomedical research on alcoholism remains something of a 'Cinderella science'. Research funding from government and other bodies is relatively poor and the number of medical scientists working in the field remains small. The Organizing Committee for this NATO ASI, comprising Charles Lieber (New York), Timothy Peters (London), Mario Dianzani (Tori), Emanuele Alba (Tori) and Norman Palmer (perth, Director), were therefore particularly grateful to the NATO Scientific Affairs Division for their active support of this AS I, the first dealing with a topic related to alcohol abuse. We moreover hope that this support will continue. The theme of the ASI was an in depth discussion of the molecular events initiated by alcohol abuse that culminate in onset of alcohol-related disease.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication19/03/2012
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleNATO Science Series A
- Series Part/Volume Number206
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight653 g
- Width170 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byT.Norman Palmer
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1991
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.67
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.72
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.