All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA masterly narrative survey of three centuries, from Alexander's conquest and empire to the triumph of Rome. The book begins with the personality and achievements of Alexander the Great, and continues with the military and political violence of the successor-kingdoms that fought over his inheritance. This era saw many important developments: a shift from the oral to the written; a move from the public to the private and a new individualist ethos; a huge growth in slavery, and therefore a glut of slave-labour which destroyed the incentive to invate; a growing gap between rich and poor; a growing taste for luxury.
- Author BiographyPeter Green was born in Britain in 1924. In the Second World War he served in Burma and afterwards studied classics at Cambridge University. After working as a journalist and writing historical novels, he taught classics in Athens until 1971, when he became Professor of Classics at the University of Texas at Austin. In 1997 he became Emeritus Professor of Classics at Austin. He has been Visiting Professor at various universities in the USA.
- Author(s)Peter Green
- PublisherOrion Publishing Co
- Date of Publication07/08/2008
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPhoenix (an Imprint of The Orion Publishing Group Ltd )
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight222 g
- Width128 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.75
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.37
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.