All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUpdated to reflect current research, Algebraic Number Theory and Fermat's Last Theorem, Fourth Edition introduces fundamental ideas of algebraic numbers and explores one of the most intriguing stories in the history of mathematics-the quest for a proof of Fermat's Last Theorem. The authors use this celebrated theorem to motivate a general study of the theory of algebraic numbers from a relatively concrete point of view. Students will see how Wiles's proof of Fermat's Last Theorem opened many new areas for future work. New to the Fourth Edition * Provides up-to-date information on unique prime factorization for real quadratic number fields, especially Harper's proof that Z( 14) is Euclidean * Presents an important new result: Mihailescu's proof of the Catalan conjecture of 1844 * Revises and expands one chapter into two, covering classical ideas about modular functions and highlighting the new ideas of Frey, Wiles, and others that led to the long-sought proof of Fermat's Last Theorem * Improves and updates the index, figures, bibliography, further reading list, and historical remarks Written by preeminent mathematicians Ian Stewart and David Tall, this text continues to teach students how to extend properties of natural numbers to more general number structures, including algebraic number fields and their rings of algebraic integers. It also explains how basic tions from the theory of algebraic numbers can be used to solve problems in number theory.
- Author BiographyIan Stewart is an emeritus professor of mathematics at the University of Warwick and a fellow of the Royal Society. Dr. Stewart has been a recipient of many honors, including the Royal Society's Faraday Medal, the IMA Gold Medal, the AAAS Public Understanding of Science and Technology Award, and the LMS/IMA Zeeman Medal. He has published more than 180 scientific papers and numerous books, including several bestsellers co-authored with Terry Pratchett and Jack Cohen that combine fantasy with nonfiction. David Tall is an emeritus professor of mathematical thinking at the University of Warwick. Dr. Tall has published numerous mathematics textbooks and more than 200 papers on mathematics and mathematics education. His research interests include cognitive theory, algebra, visualization, mathematical thinking, and mathematics education.
- Author(s)David Tall,Ian Stewart
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication20/10/2015
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintChapman & Hall/CRC
- Content Note21 black & white illustrations, 4 black & white tables
- Weight589 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edition Statement4th Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.00
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.