Alice's Adventures in Wonderland: An Edition Printed in the International Phonetic Alphabet by Lewis Carroll (Paperback / softback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $20.25Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $31.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe International Phonetic Alphabet is a system of phonetic tation based primarily on the Latin alphabet. It was devised by the International Phonetic Association as a standardized representation of the sounds of spoken language. The IPA is used by lexicographers, foreign language students and teachers, linguists, speech-language pathologists, singers, actors, constructed language creators, and translators. This edition of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is written entirely in that same alphabet, with fonts specially designed by Michael Everson. The transcription reflects the standard, regionally-neutral form of spoken British English kwn as Received Pronunciation. Granted that most linguists agree that t much more than 4% of the population of Britain speak it today, RP was nevertheless traditionally based on educated speech in southern England; it is still widely taught and dictionaries for native speakers and learners of English still make use of it in their transcriptions. Because this is a vel, and meant to be read, it was decided to retain some orthographic features which are t rmally kept in phonetic transcription: punctuation, italicization, and capitalization. Carroll's punctuation has been retained with the exception of the apostrophe marking the genitive (because Duchess's voice just looked wrong as D t s' z v s ). ---- Di nt nae nl F net k AElf b t z s st m v f net k n te n be st pra m r l n o Laet n aelf b t. t w z d va zd ba oi nt nae nl F net k s s e n aez staend da zd repr zen te n v o sa ndz v sp k n lae w d . D A Pi E z ju zd ba leks k r f z, f r n lae w d stju d nts, nd ti t z, l w sts, spi t n lae w d p l d sts, s z, aekt z, k n str kt d lae w d kri e t z, nd traens le t z. D s d n v AEl s z d vent z n W nd laend pr zents o tekst n n nt nae nl F net k AElf b t traens kr p n. D traens kr p n r flekts o staend d ri d nli nju tr l f m v sp k n Br t l n n aez R si vd Pr n ns e n. r nt d oaet m st l w sts ri oaet n t m t m oaen 4% v o p pj le n v Br t n spi k t t de, Pi w z nev o les tr d n l be st n edju ke t d spi t n s o n l nd; t z st l wa dli t t nd d k nr z f ne t v spi k z nd l n z v l st l me k ju s v t n oe traens kr p nz. B k z o s z n v l, nd ment t bi red, t w z d sa d d t r te n s m raef k fi t z w t n t n m li kept n f net k traens kr p n: p ktj e n, tael sa ze n, nd k p t la ze n. Kaer lz p ktj e n haez be n r te nd w o oi k sep n v oi p str f m k o d en t v (b k z Duchess's voice d st l kt r aez D t s' z v s ).
- Author(s)Lewis Carroll
- Date of Publication21/12/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight183 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Illustrator(s)John Tenniel
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.