All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book argues that alien rule can become legitimate to the degree that it provides governance that is both effective and fair. Governance is effective to the degree that citizens have access to an expanding ecomy and an ample supply of culturally appropriate collective goods. Governance is fair to the degree that rulers act according to the strictures of procedural justice. These twin conditions help account for the legitimation of alien rulers in organizations of markedly different scale. The book applies these principles to the legitimation of alien rulers in states (the Republic of Gea, nineteenth- and twentieth-century China, and modern Iraq), colonies (Taiwan and Korea under Japanese rule), and occupation regimes, as well as in less encompassing organizations such as universities (academic receivership), corporations (mergers and acquisitions), and stepfamilies. Finally, it speculates about the possibility of an international market in governance services.
- Author BiographyMichael Hechter is Foundation Professor of Political Science at Arizona State University and Emeritus Professor of Sociology at the University of Washington. Author of Internal Colonialism: The Celtic Fringe in British National Development, Principles of Group Solidarity, and Containing Nationalism, he has edited five books and written numerous articles in academic journals. A Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, his works have been translated into Chinese, Japanese, French, Italian, Polish, Spanish, Arabic, Romanian, Hungarian, and Georgian.
- Author(s)Michael Hechter
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication31/10/2013
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitleCambridge Studies in Comparative Politics
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note8 b/w illus.
- Weight360 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.