All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor much of the first half century after statehood, West Texas remained a frontier wilderness and unlike the expanding cities in East and Central Texas sparsely populated with Anglo-American settlements. The scarce rainfalls, freezing blue rthers, dusty winds, and scorching heat waves dissuaded many Texans from homesteading west of the U.S. Army's frontier fort system. For decades, only the hardiest attempted to forge their brand of civilization on the West Texas plains. Those who endured faced considerable difficulties in providing for themselves and their families. Many abandoned their homesteads in favor of larger, eastern towns where livelihoods were t so tenuous and the environment t so daunting. Yet as the nineteenth century advanced, so did the westward line of settlement. Cattle ranching ensured the rise of schools, churches, and towns as the great ranches of West Texas fed the nation's ever-growing demand for beef. 'Indispensable to students of Texas history and invaluable to those interested in the general social aspects of the vast sub-humid region of the United States' - Walter Prescott Webb.
- Author(s)William Curry Holden
- PublisherTexas Tech Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication15/10/1998
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleDouble Mountain Books Series
- Place of PublicationTexas
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas Tech Press,U.S.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight431 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.