All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIt would seem unlikely that one could discover tolerant religious attitudes in Spain, Portugal, and the New World colonies during the era of the Inquisition, when enforcement of Catholic orthodoxy was widespread and brutal. Yet this groundbreaking book does exactly that. Drawing on an ermous body of historical evidence--including records of the Inquisition itself--the historian Stuart Schwartz investigates the idea of religious tolerance and its evolution in the Hispanic world from 1500 to 1820. Focusing on the attitudes and beliefs of common people rather than those of intellectual elites, the author finds that small segment of the population believed in freedom of conscience and rejected the exclusive validity of the Church. The book explores various sources of tolerant attitudes, the challenges that the New World presented to religious orthodoxy, the complex relations between popular and learned culture, and many related topics. The volume concludes with a discussion of the relativist ideas that were taking hold elsewhere in Europe during this era.
- Author BiographyStuart Schwartz is George Burton Adams Professor of History and Director of the Council of Latin American and Iberian Studies at Yale University. He has published extensively on the history of Spain, Portugal, and their New World colonies.
- PrizesWinner of Cundill Prize in History 2008.
- Author(s)Stuart B. Schwartz
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication05/01/2010
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note12 b/w illus.
- Weight408 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.