All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.47
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $61.10
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.22
- AU $43.81Trending at AU $49.39
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.81
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.70
- AU $23.93Trending at AU $24.87
About this product
- DescriptionAll Dogs are Blue is a fiery and scurrilously funny tale of life in a Rio de Janeiro insane asylum. Our narrator is upset by his ever-widening girth and kept awake by the Rio funk blaring from a nearby favela - fair eugh, but what about the undercover agents infil- trating the asylum? He misses the toy dog of his child- hood, keeps high literary company with Rimbaud (a mischief-maker) and Baudelaire (a bit too serious for him), and finds himself the leader of a popular cult. All Dogs are Blue burst onto the Brazilian literary scene in 2008. Its raw style and comic inventiveness took readers by storm. But it was to be Rodrigo de Souza Leao's last masterpiece. He died that year, aged 43, in a psychiatric clinic.
- Author BiographyRodrigo Antonio de Souza Leao Rodrigo de Souza Leao was born in Rio de Janeiro in 1965 and died there in 2008, in a psychiatric clinic, shortly after publishing his extraordinary autobiographical novel All Dogs are Blue. Due to his mental fragility, Souza Leao rarely left his house and yet, through social media, blogging and email, he became close to many Brazilian writers and poets, and remains highly regarded today. His death was marked by a flood of poems in homage. Souza Leao was a prolific writer, publishing many poetry collections in his lifetime and co-founding Zunai, one of Brazil's most important poetry magazines. Since his death, further works of fiction have been published to widespread acclaim and his 'outsider' art received a dedicated exhibition at Rio's Museum of Modern Art. All Dogs are Blue has been adapted for the stage and will be published in Spanish in Juan Pablo Villalobos's translation. ----- Translator Stefan Tobler founded And Other Stories in 2010 out of frustration at the great books not being published in English. Born in the Amazon to English and Swiss parents, he translates from Portuguese and German. Recent translations include Agua Viva by Clarice Lispector and the poetry collection Silence River by Antonio Moura. ----- Translator Zoe Perry was born in the Southern United States in 1981 to an American father and Canadian mother. A full-time translator since 2010, she also works from French. After spending the last eight years living everywhere from Moscow to Montreal, including four years in Sao Paulo, Brazil, she now calls Madrid home.
- Author(s)Deborah Levy,Rodrigo Souza Leao
- PublisherAnd Other Stories
- Date of Publication01/08/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationHigh Wycombe
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAnd Other Stories
- Weight159 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Translated byStefan Tobler,Zoe Perry
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.