All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBoth a tribute to the unique experiences of individual Native Americans and a celebration of the values that draw American Indians together, All Indians Do Not Live in Teepees (or Casis) explores contemporary Native life. Based on personal experience and grounded in journalism, this story begins with the repatriation of ancestral remains to the Pueblo peoples of New Mexico. The 1999 return to Pecos of the skeletal remains of two thousand bodies excavated during an archaeological expedition nearly a century earlier was the largest repatriation in American history. In a united, purposeful, and energizing quest, the Pecos and Jemez Indians brought their ancestors home. This event, along with subsequent repatriations, has accelerated similar momentum across much of Native America. In All Indians Do Not Live in Teepees (or Casis), Catherine C. Robbins traces this restorative effect in areas such as ecomic development, urbanization, the arts, science, and health care. Through dozens of interviews, Robbins draws out the voices of Indian people, some well-kwn and many at the grassroots level, working quietly to advance their communities. These voices speak against the background of the narrative's historical context. The result is a rich account of Native American life in contemporary America, revealing t a molithic Indian experience of teepees or casis, but rather a mosaic of diverse peoples existing on a continuum that marks both their distinctions and their shared realities.
- Author BiographyCatherine C. Robbins has spent twenty-five years as an independent journalist and writer, and her stories about American Indians have appeared in numerous publications including the New York Times.
- Author(s)Catherine C. Robbins
- PublisherBison Original
- Date of Publication01/10/2011
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBison Original
- Content Note24 illustrations, 1 map
- Weight558 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.