All Man!: Hemingway, 1950s Men's Magazines, and the Masculine Persona by David M Earle (Microfilm, 2009)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $28.75+ AU $7.50 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDuring the 1950s, Hemingway was in two plane crashes, won a Nobel Prize, published a best-selling vel, and had five movies released based on his work. He had always been a public figure, but during these years his fame rose to that of celebrity. Splashed on the pages of men's magazines were articles titled Hemingway, Rogue Male, Hemingway: America's No 1 He-Man, Hemingway: War, Women, Wine, and Words, and Hemingway: King of the Vulgar Words and Seduction. These articles appeared t in the mainstream men's magazines like Esquire, Field & Stream, and Playboy, but in the pulp men's adventure magazines of Vagabond, Rogue, Modern Man, Male, Bachelor, Sir Knight!, and Gent. Kitschy, extreme, and often misogynistic, these magazines capture the hyper-masculinity of the postwar decade. And Hemingway was portrayed as a role model in all of them. Using these overlooked and sensational magazines, David M. Earle explores the popular image of Ernest Hemingway in order to consider the dynamics of both literary celebrity and midcentury masculinity. Profusely illustrated with magazine covers, article blurbs, and advertisements in full color, All Man! considers the role that visuality played in the construction of Hemingway's reputation, as well as conveys a lurid and largely overlooked genre of popular publishing. More than just a contribution to Hemingway studies, All Man! is an important addition to scholarship in the modernist era in American literature, gender studies, popular culture, and the history of publishing.
- Author(s)David M Earle
- PublisherKent State University Press
- Date of Publication15/12/2009
- SubjectBiography: Literary
- Place of PublicationKent, OH
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintKent State University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations (chiefly col.)
- Weight975 g
- Width211 mm
- Height259 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.