All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOmeros, a transatlantic Homeric epic poem, is widely considered the masterwork of Nobel laureate Derek Walcott and one of the most important pieces of postcolonial Caribbean literature. Yet it is also Walcott's most challenging work. In Omeros, Walcott constructs strategic layers of allusions and references that occasionally escape even seasoned scholars. This guide provides exhaustive textual antations and is the ideal resource for mapping the intricate matrix of allusions in this influential poem. Using extensive research in St. Lucia, the birthplace of Walcott, Maria McGarrity illuminates a wide range of references that include classical literature, world mythologies, colonial politics, modern painting, the Caribbean contexts of Omeros, modern epics, the African elements of West Indian culture, and the critical African nexus within global cultures. In addition to extensive antations and summaries of the poem's seven books, McGarrity draws attention to the lyricism of Walcott's language, the amazing originality of the poem's structure, and the stunning gaps that are spanned when far-removed allusions unexpectedly relate. When the allusions in Omeros are fully understood, these points of connection usher readers into a fascinating continuum of time and place in which the rich historical past is wrapped up in the contemporary present.
- Author BiographyMaria McGarrity is associate professor of English at Long Island University, USA. She is the author of Washed by the Gulf Stream: The Historic and Geographic Relation of Irish and Caribbean Literature and coeditor of Irish Modernism and the Global Primitive.
- Author(s)Maria McGarrity
- PublisherUniversity Press of Florida
- Date of Publication30/03/2015
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationFlorida
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Florida
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight445 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.23Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.