All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'This isn't like me. I'm t the sort of girl who crosses continents to meet up with a man she hardly kws. Paris hadn't even been part of my travel plan a' After backpacking her way around Europe journalist Sarah Turnbull is ready to embark on one last adventure before heading home to Sydney. A chance meeting with a charming Frenchman in Bucharest changes her travel plans forever. Acting on impulse, she agrees to visit Fr d ric in Paris for a week. Put a very French Frenchman together with a strong-willed Australian girl and the result is some spectacular - and often hilarious - cultural clashes. Language is a minefield of misunderstanding and the simple act of buying a baguette is fraught with social danger. But as she navigates the highs and lows of this strange new world, from the sophisticated caf s and haute couture fashion houses to the picture postcard French countryside, little by little Sarah falls under its spell: passionate, mysterious, infuriating, and charged with that French specialty - s duction. And it becomes her home. ALMOST FRENCH is the story of an adventurous heart, a maddening city - and love.
- Author BiographySarah Turnbull is a freelance writer. Formerly a television journalist with SBS, she began working in print media after moving to France from Sydney over ten years ago. Since then she has been writing regularly for magazines ranging from THE AUSTRALIAN MAGAZINE to AUSTRALIAN GOURMET TRAVELLER and she is a contributing editor to MARIE CLAIRE. In the 1998 MPA awards Sarah was named Feature Writer of the Year for three investigative stories published in MARIE CLAIRE. As a student at the Australian National University, she studied politics, Fine Art and French. Sarah dropped French after failing the subject in her first year. ALMOST FRENCH has been sold in the UK and the US and film rights have been sold in France.
- PrizesShortlisted for Nielsen BookData/ABA Book of the Year Award 2002.
- Author(s)Sarah Turnbull
- PublisherTransworld Publishers (Division of Random House Australia)
- Date of Publication05/04/2002
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationMilsons Piont
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- First Published2002
- Out-of-print date04/12/2015
- Weight334 g
- Width211 mm
- Height134 mm
- Spine26 mm
Most relevant reviews
- dizzy196911 Aug, 2012by
Begs for a second reading!
Loved this book. A great story of an Australian girl trying to immerse herself in Parisian life. I would have liked more detail of how she conquered the language, but loved the descriptions of Parisian neighbourhoods, the food and the people.
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $16.41Trending at AU $22.77
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06